Nostalgic About the Future
Place your bets now....
“The Irish are the only people in the world who are always nostalgic about the future.”
-- Joe Biden
Please become a voluntary paying subscriber or contributor to support the independent journalism of Wide World of News today.
To contribute, pick the amount of your choice and any of these methods:
* Check. Send a simple email to email@example.com and ask how you can mail in some money.
• PayPal. firstname.lastname@example.org
• Venmo. Mark-Halperin-4 (telephone number ends in x3226)
• Zelle. email@example.com
* Buying me a cocktail (at Mar-a-Lago prices….), tax and server tip included, by clicking here.
* Buying me a cup of coffee (or a week’s worth) by clicking here.
Reader support is the ONLY support I receive for my work on this newsletter.
DECEMBER 6, 2022 FACE-OFFS
1. Herschel Walker versus the future
OUTLOOK: Nearly every Republican with access to data is bearish on the former footballer’s prospects in Tuesday’s primary.
BET ON: Walker not becoming a senator or running for anything ever again.
2. Rick Scott versus Mitch McConnell
OUTLOOK: A net loss of seats for the NRSC in a cycle in which they had visions of a 55-45 majority.
BET ON: Team Scott getting more of the blame.
3. Congressional leaders with an ambitious lame duck to-do list versus Halperin’s Third Rule of Congress (Congress only acts when it absolutely has to, at the last possible moment – and sometimes not even then.)
OUTLOOK: Efforts by both parties (but mostly the Democrats) to load up the budget and Pentagon bill with unrelated want-to-pass provisions and the impending House majority means everything pushes towards the holidays, with eight simultaneous games of chicken.
BET ON: Must-pass and just 1.5 other provisions passing around Xmas.
4. Facebook versus Capitol Hill
OUTLOOK: We have seen this film before and we will see it again.
BET ON: Facebook.
5. Joe Biden versus those who don’t like Joe Biden’s 2024 presidential nominating calendar proposal
OUTLOOK: Georgia Republicans, Team Sanders, and New Hampshire Democrats all reject the Biden Idea, with more threads already pulled than by five bored cats working on a tattered sweater.
BET ON: A month of more twists and turns and an outcome that only hazily looks like the Biden Idea.
6. Those who think the Mar-a-Lago dinner and trashing the Constitution represent, finally, the turning point on Donald Trump’s hold on the Republican Party versus the past as prologue
OUTLOOK: Marc Thiessen and Gerard Baker think time should be up, as a matter of principle and politics
BET ON: The voters (always, always, bet on the voters).
7. Donald Trump versus the 2024 field
OUTLOOK: CNN says some in Trump’s orbit believe he isn’t campaigning aggressively enough after announcing his bid.
BET ON: Nothing and no one, until July 1, 2023.
8. Glenn Youngkin versus expectations
OUTLOOK: The Associated Press says that Youngkin ’24 is made up 50% of a glass that is exactly half full and 50% of a glass that is exactly half empty.
BET ON: A late decision about whether to jump in the race, based on metrics.
Wide World of News is a reader-supported publication. To receive support my work, consider becoming a voluntary paid subscriber.